If you have ever been in a car accident, then you know how scary and stressful it can be. Often everything happens so fast and people do not know what they are supposed to do. It is important to be sure of certain things when you are involved in a car accident. Lawyers agree that it is always best to be properly prepared in the event of an accident. Here are a few tips to keep in mind if you are ever in a car accident.
Things to Do After a Car Accident
After a car accident you msay be shaken up and feel scared. It is easy to feel overwhelmed by everything around you. Here are some important things you need to be sure to do after a car accident
- Get Medical Help – any time you are involved in a car accident, even if you don’t feel injured, you should get seen by a medical professional. People will often have internal injuries that, if undiagnosed, can result in serious problems. Always get medical attention.
- Call the Police – it is very important to get your accident recorded by the police. If a car accident ends up going to trial it will be the word of one driver against the other. A police officer will record the facts of the case for record.
- Swap Information – if your accident involved another driver get all of their pertinent information. This includes their name, phone numbers, address, license plate number, insurance information, information on the car they were driving such as make, model and year, their car registration number and their driver’s license number. Also get contact information for any witnesses that saw what happened.
- Take Pictures – since most people have cameras on their phones it is easier than ever before to get photos of the accident scene. Be sure to get pictures of your car, the other car, the area around the accident, pertinent road conditions and any hazards that may have caused the accident to occur. Also take note of the time of day the accident occurred.
- Report Your Accident – make sure you notify your insurance carrier as soon as you can but don’t say anything that could hurt you sign anything at all without consulting with your lawyer. Find a good attorney who specializes in car accidents who will help you during this difficult time. Be sure that you don’t wait too long to contact a lawyer because evidence can quickly disappear and you will want to make sure you have everything you need to prevail. Visit Juliansanderslaw.com for more information.